Sunday, February 24, 2013

Learning Curve

Basic knitting stitches aren't too hard. Knit, purl, stockinette, garter.
But I had high hopes for making detailed pictures in some of my patches. I thought it would be like cross stitch, as long as I planned out a pattern.
It turned out to be much harder than I thought to add colors! Extra yarn colors tangle; the tension is hard to get right, and blocks of color have to be woven carefully or holes will appear.
Also, most disappointing, the little arrow-shaped stitches do not form neat outlines! And the stitched rows end up wider than they are tall, with the image coming out a bit more flattened than it looks on a grid. So most of my patches will have to be very simple pictures or designs.
I tried doing my cat. I ended up doubling a few rows to make sure that the face didn't look too squished.





No comments: